stops featured on this year's
Candlelight Tour of Homes
in downtown Madison, IN
MADISON, Ind. (November 2002) Tickets are now on
sale for Madison Area Convention and Visitors Bureau annual Candlelight
Tour of Homes. The tour, scheduled for Nov. 29 through Dec. 1 and Dec.
6-8 will feature 10 historic and private homes. The event started in
1981 with only three public sites and attracted around 350 people.
This year, more than 3,000 people are expected over the six-night event
to tour the homes, which will be decorated for the holidays. Tickets
for the event can be purchased for $15 for adults and $5 for children
ages 5-15 from the Madison Area Convention & Visitors Bureau at
601 W. First St., in Madison. Tickets may be used on any of the six
nights and homes can be toured in any order but not repeated. Tour times
are from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. Friday and Saturday, and from 4 p.m. to 7
& Gail Maile home
Homes on this years tour include:
River Cottage & Phillips and Michl Home, 202 Shamrock Lane.
Two homes, including the remodeled three-room cottage constructed prior
to 1840, and a large frame home sit on an elevated lot at this location.
The larger home is the residence of Leon and Gerry Michls and was the
boyhood home of Indiana author David Graham Phillips.
The Indian-Kentuck Hotel, 402 East Main Street. Built in 1851,
this federal-style building is owned by Bob and Gail Maile and is mentioned
in the Indiana Historic Sites and Structures Inventory as
perhaps the best remaining example of 19th century hotel in the
country. Many farmers who came to market in Madison in the 1800s
stayed at the hotel. The building has served as the home to a variety
of businesses throughout its history before being converted to its current
use as a single family dwelling.
Masonic-Schofield House, 217 West Second Streets. Built around
1815, this building is thought to be the first two-story tavern house
in Madison. It has served as a tavern, post office and general store.
The building was purchased in 1972 by the Scottish Rite Valley of Indianapolis
on behalf of the Freemasons of Indiana.
Judge Jeremiah Sullivan House, 304 West Second Street. The house,
built in 1818, is the family home of Jeremiah Sullivan and wife, Charlotte.
It is considered Madisons first mansion and represents the East
Coast federal style. The home is the property of Historic Madison, Inc.
Madison Presbyterian Church, 202 Broadway. The church was built
in 1845 for the First Presbyterian Church after two former church buildings
were destroyed by fire. The name was changed to Madison Presbyterian
Church in 1921.
Vintage Views Inn, 411 West First St. Built in 1892 for John
A. and Mary L. Sage, the home is a later example of Queen Anne style
architecture. The home was purchased in 1997 by Michael and Bobette
Fessler and has been operated as a bed and breakfast for the past 16
Lanier Mansion State Historic Site, 511 West First Street. The
Crown Jewel of Madisons historic district, the Greek
revival style mansion is designated as a National Historic Landmark
and is owned and operated by the Indiana Department of Natural Resources,
Division of Museums and Historic Sites.
The James Anderson Home, 524 West Second St. A federal style
home with Italian accents built in the 1840s, the house was purchased
and renovated by the Sandker Family in 1994. The home was bought by
the Anderson family in March of this year.
Jefferson County Historical Society, Inc., 615 West First St.
A special exhibit, Our Members Collect, will continue through
the Christmas season. Gingerbread houses created by the children of
Pope John Elementary will also be on display.
Phillips Home, 736 West Main St. Constructed in 1830, the 172-year-old
home underwent complete renovation in 1994. It is a wonderful example
of Italianate style architecture. Owners, Steve & Cheryl Phillips
will display a number of collections, antiques and Christmas decorations.
For more information about the tour, call (812) 265-2956 or
1-800-559-2956. Or visit: www.nightsbeforechristmas.com.
Back to November 2002 Articles.