Springtime in Louisville
Kentucky Derby Festival has
something for everyone
Festival runs two weeks before the big race
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (April 2015) – The Board of Directors and staff, the 4,000 volunteers and more than 400 sponsors welcome you to one of America’s greatest community celebrations – the 2015 Kentucky Derby Festival. Here’s a rundown of the upcoming major events:
Saturday, April 11:
•Basketball Classic, 7 p.m. at Freedom Hall. Tickets $13 and $18 reserved (includes facility fee). Tickets on sale at all TicketMaster locations, www.ticketmaster.com or call 1-800-745-3000 or the Freedom Hall box office at (502) 367-5144.
Thurs., April 16 - Sun., April 26:
• $1 Million Dollar Hole-in-One Golf Contest. Semifinals 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. on April 26, with finals at 6 p.m. at Seneca Golf Course Driving Range. $1 per shot and free for spectators. April 19 is Kids’ Day for under 18 competitors. 2 shots for $1. Grand prize is $1 million.
Friday, April 17:
• “They’re Off! Luncheon,” 11:30 a.m. at the Galt House East Grand Ballroom. Tickets are $680 for a table of eight or $85 each. This year’s speaker is ESPN “College GameDay” sports analyst Jay Bilas.
• The Fillies’ Derby Ball. Cocktails at 6:30 p.m., doors open at 7:30 p.m. at the Galt House West Archibald Cochran Ballroom. Featuring the Derby Festival Queen Coronation at 7:45 p.m., dinner at 8:15 p.m. Dinner music by The Hartstrings. Dance entertainment by Burning Las Vegas. Tickets $175 each or a table of 10 is $1,700, VIP table of 10 is $2,050. Includes appetizers, dinner and dancing. Produced by The Fillies Inc For tickets call (502) 572-3856.
Saturday, April 18:
• Derby Festival Opening Ceremonies: Thunder Over Louisville. FoodFest and Ford’s Thunder On the Ground open at 11 a.m. Air show at 3 p.m. Fireworks at 9:30 p.m. Along the downtown Louisville riverfront, Waterfront Park, River Road and Southern Indiana shoreline. Visit: www.ThunderOver
Louisville.org. Featuring the Thunder Chow Wagon at Waterfront Park, and the East River Road Beer Garden. Admission is free with a 2015 Pegasus Pin. (Open 11 a.m. – 11 p.m. No food, drink, tents, stakes, tape or pets.) Meijer Family Fun Zone on the Belvedere. Admission is free with a 2015 Pegasus Pin (Open 11 a.m. – 11 p.m.). North Great Lawn area opens at 9 a.m. Admission is free with a 2015 Pegasus Pin. (No tents, stakes, tape or pets.)
Wednesday, April 22:
• “Taste of Derby Festival,” 5:30-8:30 p.m. at Louisville Slugger Field. Tickets $80 (limited availability). Coordinated by Dare to Care Food Bank. All proceeds to benefit Dare to Care. Features exquisite fare from over 65 of Louisville’s finest restaurants and beverage companies. Bourbon tasting, bloody mary contest, wine tasting and a silent auction.
Saturday, April 25:
• Marathon and Mini-Marathon, 7:30 a.m. at Main Street near Slugger Field. Start via 13.1-mile route or 26.2-mile route to Preston & Witherspoon Streets finish. Free for spectators. Entry fees and registration information located at www.DerbyFestivalMarathon.com.
• NPC Derby Championships, 11:30 a.m. with finals at 7 p.m. at the Kentucky International Convention Center, Grand Ballroom. A fitness, figure, swimwear and bodybuilding competition featuring amateurs and pro athletes from across the country. Pre-judging tickets $15, Finals tickets $25. For tickets call (502) 387-3808 or www.KentuckyMuscle.com.
Sunday, April 26:
• Tour de Lou Cycling Event. Staggered start based on distance: 35-mile ride - 11:15 a.m.; 20-mile ride – 11:30 a.m. Cycling event for all ages and levels of experience, with start and finish near Kroger’s Fest-a-Ville at Waterfront Park. 20-mile ride for intermediate riders and 35-mile ride for experienced cyclists. Entry fees and registration info at www.kdf.org.
Thursday April 23:
• Great Balloon Crew Challenge. Admission is free with a 2015 Pegasus Pin. 6 p.m. at Kroger’s Fest-a-Ville on the Waterfront.
Friday, April 24:
• Great Balloon Rush-Hour Race and Balloon Glow. 7 a.m. launch for race at Bowman Field. Public entrance off Pee Wee Reese Road. Great Balloon Glow at 9 p.m. at the Kentucky Exposition Center. Gates open at 6 p.m. Entry fee is $8 KEC parking fee.
Saturday, April 25:
• Great Balloon Race, 7 a.m. launch at Bowman Field. Public entrance off Pee Wee Reese Road.
Thurs., April 23 – Friday, May 1:
• Kroger’s Fest-A-Ville on the Waterfront. Open daily from 11 a.m. - 11 p.m. at the Louisville Waterfront Park. Featuring free music concerts with national talent, family fun, food, kids’ inflatable playground, midway rides and more. Happy Hour Weekdays 4-6 p.m. with $2 beers. Admission is free with a 2015 Pegasus Pin. (Food, drink and pets are not permitted). Chow Wagon open daily from 11 a.m. - 11 p.m., except Sunday 1 p.m. - 11 p.m.
Friday, April 24:
• Waterfront Jam featuring Thompson Square. 9 p.m. at Kroger’s Fest-a-Ville on the Waterfront. Admission is free with a 2015 Pegasus Pin.
Saturday, April 25:
• Waterfront Jam Blues Traveler. 9 p.m. at Kroger’s Fest-a-Ville on the Waterfront. Admission is free with a 2015 Pegasus Pin.
Sunday, April 26:
• Mayor’s Brunch on the River. 11 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. at Riverside, the Farnsley-Moremen Landing. A festive brunch featuring a traditional Kentucky breakfast, live riverboat jazz, and tours of the property including the Moremen Family Chapel. Tickets $65 or $500 for table of eight. For tickets or information call (502) 935-6809 or www.riverside-landing.org.
Monday, April 27:
• Derby Festival Happytail Hour: 5-9 p.m. at Kroger’s Fest-a-Ville on the Waterfront. Admission is free with a 2015 Pegasus Pin. A pet-friendly (leashes please!) social event featuring entertainment by The Tarnations.
• Great Bed Races. 4 p.m. tailgating. 6 p.m. parade of beds. 7 p.m. races at Broadbent Arena. Admission is free with a 2015 Pegasus Pin. Admission is $8 KEC Parking fee. $130 entry fee for team of five.
Tuesday, April 29:
• Waterfront Jam featuring Rose Royce and Midnight Star. 8 p.m. at Kroger’s Fest-a-Ville on the Waterfront. Admission is free with a 2015 Pegasus Pin.
Tues.-Wed., April 28-29:
• Derby Winefest. Wine tasting sessions daily from 5-9 p.m. on the Belvedere. Tickets: $40 and includes wine tastings, etched souvenir wine glass and WineFest pin. (21 and over only. Must present ID upon entry.) Tickets available by calling (502) 584-FEST or online at www.kdf.org. From 6-8 p.m. Tuesday is the WineFest Farm to Table Dinner Presented by Kentucky Proud. Tickets $125 and includes admission to WineFest (limited availability). Set menu featuring four-course meal with regionally inspired cuisine.
Wednesday, April 29:
• Great Steamboat Race. 4:30-5:30 p.m. boarding. 5:45 p.m. departure. Race begins at 6 p.m. Awards presentation immediately following at the Chow Wagon in Kroger’s Fest-a-Ville. Tickets on the Belle of Louisville $130 (limited availability). Tickets on the Belle of Cincinnati $60 Cruise Only; $80 dinner, Four Roses Bourbon Tasting and cruise. For tickets call (502) 584-FEST. Free spectator viewing at Kroger’s Fest-a-Ville and along the banks of the Ohio River.
• BeerFest. 6-10 p.m. Beer tasting sessions featuring regional craft beers. Overlook at Kroger’s Fest-a-Ville. Tickets $40 general admission, $60 for VIP experience starting at 5 p.m. Tickets include beer tastings, sampling mug and BeerFest pin. Tickets available by calling (502) 584-FEST or online at www.kdf.org. (21 and over only. Must present ID upon entry.)
• Wednesday concert featuring Genevieve. 7 p.m. at Kroger’s Fest-a-Ville on the Waterfront. Admission is free with a 2015 Pegasus Pin.
Thursday, April 30:
• Pegasus Parade. 5 p.m. on Broadway from Campbell to Ninth Street. Bleacher tickets $10 and chair seating $12. Review stand seating $30. This annual spectacle of colorful floats, marching bands, giant inflatables and equestrians will be broadcast live on WAVE 3 TV.
• Waterfront Jam featuring Vance Joy with special guest Misterwives. 8 p.m. on the Great Stage at Kroger’s Fest-a-Ville. Admission is free with a 2015 Pegasus pin.
Friday, May 1:
• Waterfront Jam featuring Craze. 9 p.m. on the Great Stage at Kroger’s Fest-a-Ville. Admission is free with a 2015 Pegasus pin.
Saturday, May 2:
• 140th Running of the Kentucky Derby. For Derby information contact Churchill Downs (502) 636-4400.
Back to April 2015 Articles.