2013 Madison Regatta
13 Unlimiteds expected
to vie for Indiana Governor’s Cup
Qualifying begins July 5,
with finals set for July 7
on the Ohio River race course
(June 2013) – The weekend of July 5-7 marks the 63rd anniversary of Unlimited Hydroplane Racing in Madison, Ind., and race fans will be here watching 13 unlimited hydroplanes vie for the Lucas Oil Indiana Governor’s Cup, the third stop on the H1 Unlimited Hydroplane Series schedule.
Local fans are eagerly awaiting the battles among these thundering 200-mph-plus competitors to see and cheer on the hometown team, the 2012 National High Points Champion U-1 Oh Boy! Oberto-Miss Madison, against a strong field of contenders.
sessions are popular.
Will there be a new contender that races to the front of the pack? The world’s fastest race boats will race deck-to-deck along the Bill Cantrell Memorial Race Course, with qualifying set for Friday, and multiple heats scheduled for Saturday and Sunday leading up to final heat, set for 4:20 p.m. Sunday, July 7. Madison is one of eight race sites on the 2013 H1 Unlimited calendar.
Testing and Qualifying is scheduled for Friday, July 5, with the popular “Pole Position” Unlimited Qualifications set between 3-5 p.m. On Saturday, more testing is scheduled for the morning with the first sets of heat racing starting at 1:30 p.m. More heat racing is planned all day Sunday.
2013 Madison Regatta
Schedule of Festival Events
• Saturday, June 29: Little Miss Pageant (ages 5-8) and Morgan & Nay Funeral Centre Miss Pre-Teen Pageant (ages 14-17). Noon at the Madison Consolidated High School Auditorium. ISU Insurance & Investment Group Miss Teen Pageant at 6 p.m.
• Saturday, June 29: Remote Control Boat Racing. 10 a.m. at Jefferson Proving Ground’s Kruger Lake on Hwy. 421 just north of Madison.
• Monday, July 1: Xi Beta Upsilon Miss Madison Regatta Beauty Pageant (ages 18-26). 7 p.m. at the Madison Consolidated High School Auditorium. Admission $8.
• Wednesday, July 3: RKO Enterprises Waterball Fight. 5:30 p.m. on Main Street between Jefferson and Walnut streets.
• Wednesday, July 3: WORX 96.7 FM Street Dance. 8-11 p.m. at Fireman’s Park, foot of Jefferson Street & Vaughn.
• Thursday, July 4: Madison Area Chamber of Commerce & Madison Regatta Business After Hours. 4:30 - 6:30 p.m. at the VIP Tent at the riverfront. (Open to the media, race drivers, team owners, race officials, chamber members and their guests only.)
• Friday, July 5: Madison Regatta Parade. 7 p.m. on Main Street beginning at Jefferson Street.
• Saturday, July 6: The Madison Courier 10K Walk & Run. 8 a.m. beginning at the Madison Consolidated High School.
• Saturday, July 6: The Madison Regatta Volleyball Classic. 8:30 a.m. on the riverfront at the corner of Vernon Street and Vaughn Drive.
• Saturday, July 6: Regatta Fireworks Show co-sponsored by American Legion Post 9 and Morgan & Nay Funeral Centre. Approximately 10 p.m. at the riverfront. (Free admission)
• Saturday-Sunday, July 6-7: Grote Industries Air Shows by aerobatic pilot Brett Hunter.
Music on the River
Co-sponsored by Arvin Sango Inc., Big-O Tires, Northside Liquors and Riverboat Inn. Music stage is located at Fireman’s Park on the riverfront at the foot of Jefferson Street. Admission is a $5 Regatta button except for Saturday night when admission to fireworks and music are free.
• Thursday, July 4: Music from 5 p.m. to midnight, with bands TBA.
• Friday, July 5: 95.3 WIKI presents the Texaco Country Showdown featuring regional winners beginning at 7:30 p.m. More bands TBA.
• Saturday, July 6: WORX 96.7 FM / WXGO 1270 AM present presents Chris Jesse and the Instigators before the fireworks show and Howard, Lewis and Lovins after the fireworks show.
• Tickets: General Admission Weekend Wristbands are $25. To order, call (812) 274-0400 or visit the Regatta website: www.MadisonRegatta.com. Wristbands also available at several local stores. VIP and other passes available. Parking passes $15. Souvenir buttons $5. Pit Tours $5. Programs $5.
Heat Sponsors for this year’s Madison Regatta include Clifty Engineering & Tool Company, Mercury Marine & Morgan Foods with Official Product Sponsors of the event being Budweiser (official Beer), Papa John’s Pizza (official Pizza), Sparkling ICE (official Sparkling Flavored Water), Thomas Family Winery (official Wine & Cider Provider) and Toyota (official Car).
The Fireworks Spectacular, co-sponsored by the American Legion Post No. 9 and Morgan & Nay Funeral Centre, planned for dusk on Saturday. Zambelli Fireworks, the same company that conducts the world famous “Thunder Over Louisville,” will be back to put on the Regatta fireworks show.
The Regatta “Music on the River” program kicks off Wednesday, July 3, with bands playing on the Fireman’s Park stage from 8-11 p.m., and again Thursday, July 4, from 5-11:30 p.m. Music continues Friday, July 5, from 7:30-11:15 p.m., and also on Saturday, July 6, from 5 p.m. to midnight. Thursday’s schedule features an array of bands, while Friday’s schedule features the Texaco Country Showdown finals with the winners from the regional contests. Saturday features a variety of bands playing all night long.
Co-Sponsors of the Music on the River program include Arvin Sango, Big O Tires, Northside Liquors and Riverboat Inn.
The Music on the River program for Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday require a Madison Regatta admission wristband or a $5 limited-edition, collectible race boat button that can be bought at the gate. Each night includes a different collectible button used for admission (buttons sponsored by Super Shine). Saturday night activities are free.
More activities during Regatta Weekend include the Madison Regatta Parade with the legendary Cincinnati Bengals running back Elbert “Ickey” Woods serving as Grand Marshal, two days of air shows by aerobatic pilot Brett Hunter sponsored by Grote Industries with an air show Saturday evening before the fireworks, the driver’s autograph sessions on Saturday and Sunday, food and commercial vendors, and much more. Some notable vendor displays will be the Oh Boy! Oberto Beef Jerky, Lucas Oil, Toyota, Sparkling ICE and the Papa John’s Pizza Mobile Kitchen.
Admission Wristbands to the Madison Regatta will be going on sale at local outlets in June. The public can also call the Regatta office at (812) 274-0400 or visit www.MadisonRegatta.com to purchase wristbands or see the list of outlets where they may be purchased. A wristband is required for daytime access to Vaughn Drive and the riverfront from 6 a.m. Friday, July 5, until after the final race on Sunday, July 7. Children 10 and under are free.
Special seating for viewing the 2013 Madison Regatta includes a VIP Tent area, Hospitality Tent area, Tarp Space areas, and RV Parking to name a few. Pit Tours, sponsored by Comfort Inn of Madison, will be conducted on Friday and Saturday, while Cold Pit Passes can be bought for $20. Collector edition 63rd Anniversary Madison Regatta race programs will be available at $5 to keep as a souvenir and make sure to get your Official Madison Regatta Merchandise located in front of the Regatta Office all weekend long.
• For more information, call the Regatta office at (812) 274-0400 or visit: www.MadisonRegatta.com.
Back to 2013 Madison